Friday, October 10, 2008

Addiction, for me, is a four letter word


BOOK (s) !!!



Ever since I was a little girl, I've had an obsession with books. I love them, I need them, I crave them. Weird? Perhaps. But I cannot stop. At any given moment, someone can ask me how many books I am reading and my usual answer will be something like "Um, 6, BUT..." followed by some supposed reason why reading that many books is totally normal (ie, "BUT 3 of them are business books, 1 is a collection of short stories, 1 is a quick-read-chick-lit type book, and I'm sure I'll fly through the novel quickly, so really 6 isn't that many!"). The strangest thing about my obsession is that I'm not just obsessed with the act of reading itself - I am addicted to the act of purchasing and owning books. I literally cannot walk into a bookstore and walk out without purchasing a book. It's a sickness. I can't get rid of it, even if I tried, but to be honest I would never try! I love the feeling of holding a new book in my hand, cracking it open and knowing that I'm the first person to devour its contents (and most likely the last, since I don't often lend out my books. I'm too afraid that I won't get them back!). I can dog ear all the pages if I want, I can make notes in the margin if I want, I can highlight entire paragraphs if I want...oh man I could go on forever. The point is, my name is Lara and I am a bibliomaniac.

Currently occupying my bedside table:
1) Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides
2) The Long Tail, by Chris Anderson
3) When You Are Engulfed in Flames, by David Sedaris
4) Free Prize Inside!, by Seth Godin
5) Meatball Sundae, by Seth Godin
6) Fourth Comings, by Megan McCafferty

Will let you know how each of these books play into my "list of all time of favourite books" once I get through all of them!

P.S. Isn't the library in the picture just to die for? That baby is going on my vision board, pronto!

6 comments:

lulu belle said...

omg!!!! i'm so glad i'm not alone in this lo i too adore books i am always buying books, if i have to choose between a book and anything else for me books always win hands down no boubt about it!! Are u on shelfari??

Stefan said...

with all those books how do you keep track? With out my list of books at Books I am Reading I would be lost. http://www.booksiamreading.com/stefanhayden

Lara V said...

lulu belle - glad to meet another bookaholic=Þ I'm not on shelfari, but I'll definitely look into it!

stefan - Wish I could say that I keep track of all my books/current reading list but I do not. Took a look at booksiamreading.com - cool stuff!

Lara V said...

lulu belle - I just signed up on Shelfari yesterday and boy oh boy is that addictive! I spent WAY too long on that site - it'll be hard to be productive today, all I want to do is add books to my shelfari shelf!

lulu belle said...

I should of warned you!! Sorry, shelfari is very very addictive. everyday i'm adding a new book or ten. What are you reading now?
I'm trying to read The Kite Runner.

Lara V said...

Yeah, I can't wait to read The Kite Runner, but I'm waiting until I can't remember what happened in the movie haha. I really shouldn't have seen the movie before reading the book, since the book will obviously be better. Right now (fiction) I'm reading Middlesex. So far it's amazing!